Hello on yet another rainy monday..
This week has been really good. I was in Greenville all week! I was able to serve with two other sisters who have both helped me a lot with my confidence. Since I have been out here, I haven't felt confident in teaching. I have been super nervous, even anxoius sometimes. But luckily I was able to teach almost everyday in Greenville and I needed the practice. They are teaching a man named Jim. He is about 61 and is in a wheelchair. He lives in "The Projects." He is being baptized on Saturday. He is such a funny man. I just love him. He has been struggling with quiting smoking and we had gone over there to teach him about the Plan of Salvation and I was pulling out my visual that I use when I teach it. He said " I Have a visual for you!" He proceeds to wheel himself into his room. He takes this HUGE Samari sword and starts chopping at his last pack of cigarettes. He is LEGIT! I am so excited for him to be baptized! He even had the Greenville sisters teach his daughter and they both were able to come to conference.
I got back into my area late on Thursday night. We had to catch up on a lot of laundry and things on Friday so that we could be ready for Conference. We didn't have any investigators at Conference, which is a bummer, but Kristina said that she was going to try to watch it online... We are still trying to figure out how to help her right now... She is having a really hard time. She talked to an attorney and he said that she should try counceling with her husband... Well, Brother Jones, the one that is fellowshipping her sent us a text today asking us if she could be baptized if she was legally seperated. She can be baptized, but she has to move out. Obviously because of the law of chastity.. I just really hope that she can decide what to do... As for Alana.. We don't know what to really do to get her baptized.. She already goes to church every week, she goes to seminary every day. She is ready to be baptized but her mom just won't let her. Sister McLelland and I have never talked to her mom, so our next step with Alana is to meet her mom and start teaching Alana in her own home so that her mom can know what she is learning and her mom will be able to learn too. We hope that this will help soften her mom's heart and that we might be able to see some success here in Watauga.
I loved Conference! I thought is was especially cool to hear the prophet's first adress be directed at members to get ready to serve missions. If that is the first thing that he is saying in Conference, it is really important!!! I am so glad that I am here! Last night we ate dinner at a members house. It was the Jones family. Every month they have a big family dinner with a bunch of people. Every month is a different themed food item. This month it was fall foods. We had soup in bread bowls. Their family is so much fun! By far my favorite family here so far~! I love them a ton! They even invited us to come next month! :]
Today was our Zone activity. Sister McLelland and I made our district and the Zone Leaders T-shirts to wear. They are Tye-dyed and awesome! We showed up in our shirts with nerd glasses on and everyone laughed and loved it! I love being a nerdy missionary! You have to find fun wherever you can! I learned how to throw a rugby ball today! That was fun! There is an Elder here who is from Australia. His name is Elder Tuakalau. (Aka Elder T.) He was teaching me. He played professional rugby before his mission. He's legit! I love him a ton. His companion Elder Lidner is totally awesome! We even made up a hand shake! The park that we went to today is called Warriors Path. They have a replica of the Chronicles of Narnia! I will send you some pictures! It was awesome! We played football and soccer and then we roasted dogs and hamburgers on the grill and one Elder even made homemade rootbeer! Of course that made me think of Alana! "Please bless that I get that rootbeer!" After that we all went back to the Stake Center in Kingsport cause it was rainy and everyone was cold. We all played Basketball and I even helped my team win! I scored a basket! I was in shock!! Especially since I dislike sports .. Like ... A LOT. But it was fun! There are some really fun elders in my district! I just love them all! I really hope that we will be friends for life!
Please pray that Watauga starts picking up. We have no new investigators.. it's really depressing.. I hate not being able to teach. We are hoping to baptize Alana, Kristina and hopefully another person this next transfer. I can't believe that I have only been here for 4 weeks... It feels like so much longer.. Time goes by so slowly..but time can do so much! Anywho. Sorry this is so late! I love you all. I hope that your week has been great! Good to hear from you!!
Love always!!!
Sister Shaylyn